56 - Centering Prayer, Solitude, Stillness, & Mindful Silence (feat. Phileena Heuertz)
Our good friend Phileena Heuertz is back with a new book, Mindful Silence! She joins us to talk about centering prayer and the role that things like solitude, silence, and stillness play in our callings to social action.
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- Phileena’s last appearance on CXMH: episode 51 - Pilgrimage of a Soul
- Obviously, the book we talk about in this episode! Mindful Silence: The Heart of Christian Contemplation
- MindfulSilence.org, where you can learn all about the book.
- Joy Unspeakable: Contemplative Practices of the Black Church (2nd edition) by Barbara A. Holmes
- Insight Timer, a meditation app (we have a CXMH group within Insight Timer, search for it and join us!)
- “Contemplative spirituality is anything that helps us wake up and see more clearly who we are and who God is.” (tweet)
- “The capacity to see and to know who we are is fundamental to the Christian experience.” (tweet)
- “How many of us are really living into the reality of being a child of the divine? Someone with divine DNA?” (tweet)
- “Contemplative prayer & social action must go hand in hand for effective social change.” (tweet)
- “As we give ourselves to contemplative prayer we grow in discernment, hearing ‘this is yours to do, this is not.’” (tweet)
- “We don’t practice presence very well.” (tweet)
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like an exclusive Facebook group, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- give a one-time gift using PayPal
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.