51 - Pilgrimage of a Soul (feat. Phileena Heuertz)
This week, we’re joined by Phileena Heuertz, co-founder of Gravity: A Center for Contemplative Activism, and author of Pilgrimage of a Soul: Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life. In this episode, Phileena talks with us about her first book (one of Holly’s favorite books, which you’ll soon understand why!) and unpacks the seven stages of the spiritual journey. What are the seven stages and how do they map alongside a pilgrimage? You’ll have to listen to find out (and then pick up the book to read more)!
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- Phileena’s book, Pilgrimage of a Soul: Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life
- Phileena’s upcoming book, Mindful Silence: The Heart of Christian Contemplation
- Gravity: A Center for Contemplative Activism
- Chris Heuertz
- The Way (2010 film)
- Insight Timer, the meditation app we discuss)
- Ology Symposium: A Dialogue Between Psychology and Theology
- Episode 22 of CXMH - Are The Tides Turning? (feat. Kristen Kansiewicz)
- Episodes of CXMH that focus on the enneagram
- “Many of us are not prepared for the deeper journey.” (tweet)
- “Life has a way of challenging our religious paradigms.” (tweet)
- “It’s one thing to grow up in a church and have ideas about God, the world, & one another. It’s something else once we get out into the world and live for awhile.” (tweet)
- “We can’t separate psychology from spirituality.” (tweet)
- “As I progress in life and in the spiritual journey, there are parts of my identity that I’ve needed to die to so that I might live into a truer version of myself.” (tweet)
- “The way in which God calls me or leads me is into my highest, best, truest, most fulfilling self.” (tweet)
- “In the ways that I’m more concerned with what other people think of me, to that degree I will be limited in being able to live into my truest self & highest potential.” (tweet)
- “Many of us have heard too much about how horrible we are.” (tweet)
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like an exclusive Facebook group, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- give a one-time gift using PayPal
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.