50 - Preaching About Mental Health (feat. Mary Alice Birdwhistell)
This week, we’re joined by Waco-area pastor Mary Alice Birdwhistell to talk about preaching on mental health. Why is it important? How can pastors do it well? Can we get Mary Alice to read us an entire sermon she’s written? We get answers to all of these and more!
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- Gravity: A Center for Contemplative Activism
- Chris Heuertz
- Phileena Heuertz
- NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Other resources we recommend including books, podcasts, websites, and more.
- As usual, someone ends up mentioning Brené Brown
- “People can sniff out fakeness a mile away.” (tweet)
- “The church has to start talking about things that are real, and mental health is at the top of that list.” (tweet)
- “Having a counselor is one of the healthiest things I can do as a pastor, but also as a person.” (tweet)
- “We desperately need to start talking about mental health. We can’t afford not to. And what better place for that conversation to happen than in the church?” (tweet)
- “All of us, in some way, at some point, experience some kind of mental health challenge. All of us.” (tweet)
- “When in doubt, refer.” (tweet)
- “It’s all mental health related if it has to do with [us] & [our] well-being.” (tweet)
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like an exclusive Facebook group, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- give a one-time gift using PayPal
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.