74 - How Do We Make Our Churches Inclusive for Mental Health? (feat. Dr. Stephen Grcevich)
In this episode, we’re joined by Dr. Stephen Grcevich (founder of Key Ministry and author of Mental Health and the Church) to talk about how we can make our churches & ministries more inclusive to those encountering mental health struggles and their families. Dr. Grcevich talks about the 7 barriers identified in his book and what we can do about them. (Next week, he comes back to talk about children’s mental health, so make sure you come back too!) In the intro, Holly and Robert discuss several birthdays and how to balance focusing on too many things at once.
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- the LifeWay Research study we discuss
- episode 1 - Where We Are (feat. Scott McConnell)
- episode 50 - Preaching About Mental Health (feat. Mary Alice Birdwhistell)
Connect with Stephen on Twitter, online at church4everychild.org, or connect with Key Ministry on their website, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Buy ‘Mental Health and the Church: A Ministry Handbook for Including Children and Adults with ADHD, Anxiety, Mood Disorders, and Other Common Mental Health Conditions’ on Amazon.
- “This is a big issue in terms of mental health being a significant barrier to families being able to be a part of church.” (tweet)
- “Think about some attributes that are associated with mental illness and think about the way they clash with church culture.” (tweet)
- “Good mental health inclusion isn’t a program, it’s a mindset.” (tweet)
- “Mental health ministry, by definition, has to be family ministry.” (tweet)
Join the Cxmhunity on Facebook!
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like submitting questions for upcoming interviews, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- give a one-time gift using PayPal
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.