45 - Learning to Speak God from Scratch (feat. Jonathan Merritt)
Surprise! We're still on summer break, but we're popping in with this episode. I get the chance to talk to award-winning author Jonathan Merritt about why people are using sacred language less, why that matters, and what we can do about it. We'll see you in a few weeks for Season 3, kicking off in September!
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- Studies in Words by C. S. Lewis
- If you're interested more in the connection between our language and the way we view the world, I (Robert) recommend Words Can Change Your Brain by Andrew Newberg & Mark Robert Waldman
- Psychology Today article: 'How the Language You Speak Influences the Way You Think'
Connect with Jonathan on his website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or buy his new book Learning to Speak God from Scratch: Why Sacred Words are Vanishing - and How We Can Revive Them on Amazon. You can also listen to Jonathan on The Faith Angle or Seekers & Speakers.
- “The vast majority of Americans, despite widespread religiosity, do not feel comfortable having spiritual conversations." (tweet)
- “The words that we speak reveal something about what we believe and then shape what we believe.” (tweet)
- “Language is not just expressive, it is also formative. The language that we use actually shapes what is inside of us.” (tweet)
- “You cannot pretend you use language in a vacuum. It’s always attached to our experiences.” (tweet)
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like an exclusive Facebook group, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.