47 - How To Find Affordable Counseling (feat. Dr. Kevin Tarlow)
This week, we get into the interviews for Season 3 by addressing one of the most common questions we hear: how do you find affordable mental healthcare? Joining us is Dr. Kevin Tarlow, the founder of LowCostHelp.com.
Helpful tips for finding affordable counseling:
- figure out what your health insurance covers
- ask a local provider for referral options
- check local college/university counseling centers
Things we mention in this episode/other resources:
- Episode 29: Why Don't People Get Treatment? (& How Can We Help?) (feat. Dr. David Susman)
- Psychology Today's therapist directory
- Open Path Collective
- “We don’t have enough care. We don’t have care providers. We don’t have enough affordable care for mental health.” (tweet)
- “It’s a full-time job, knowing how to navigate the healthcare system.” (tweet)
- “We talk about food deserts…I think there are healthcare deserts too.” (tweet)
- “I don’t think any of us should have to do this alone…it’s hard enough for me, who knows how this all works.” (tweet)
- “Find someone that can help you through this process if possible, because that can make such a big difference.” (tweet)
- “A huge thing we can do for the people that we care about is making sure they get the help we think they need.” (tweet)
Ways to support CXMH:
- make a pledge on Patreon and get rewards like an exclusive Facebook group, a mug, sticker, t-shirt, or more!
- give a one-time gift using PayPal
- Do your Amazon shopping through this link
- Leave us a rating & review on iTunes or Google Play
- Check out our CXMH merchandise to show off your support
- Listen to the Cxmhunity Spotify playlist here
- Check out other episodes and find your favorites guests on our website.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is ‘Fall Down’ by Rivers & Robots.