36 - Dropping the Mask (feat. Carlos Rodríguez)
This week, I talk with Carlos Rodríguez. Carlos is an author, non-profit activist, former pastor, and founder of Happy Sonship. We talk about hiding behind masks, using theology to avoid working on ourselves, and Carlos shares his story of finding a more authentic faith.
Connect with Carlos on HappySonship.com, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Support Happy Sonship's non-profit work through the Happy Givers store. Buy Carlos's books on Amazon - Drop The Stones: When Love Reaches the Unlovable and Simply Sonship: A Discovery of Sonship. Listen to the Drop The Stones podcast on iTunes.
- “As a preacher, I was used to only sharing weakness 20 years later when I’d overcome it, not when it was happening.” (tweet)
- “Let my life be a prepared sermon.” (tweet)
- “I found Jesus in the prisons. I found Jesus in Puerto Rico 3 weeks after the hurricane.” (tweet)
- “I’ve rediscovered the beauty of our faith just sitting with somebody.” (tweet)
- “I was vulnerable enough for people to know there were some issues, but not enough for people to say ‘he needs help.’” (tweet)
- “My anger turned into repentance, the repentance turned into hope.” (tweet)
- “I just know, without a shadow of a doubt: if more people in my church, if more people in churches in America, if more people even outside of the church were willing to see a professional…things would be so much better.” (tweet)
- “The fact that you need help I think is an extremely Godly thing.” (tweet)
- “God is not attracted to good theology, God is attracted to humility.” (tweet)
- “Some people can judge you with Bible verses, but that doesn’t mean they’re judging you biblically.” (tweet)
- “Stop looking for permission and go get help.” (tweet)
Join the exclusive Cxmhunity Facebook group to interact with the hosts, guests, and other listeners by pledging just $1/month on Patreon!
Support CXMH on Patreon or leave us a review on iTunes or Google Play!
Check out our brand new merchandise to show off your love of CXMH or start conversations!
Check out other episodes and find your favorite guest on our website.
Connect with CXMH on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Intro/Outro music for this episode is Fall Down by Rivers & Robots.